Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Vegetable biriyani - (using Microwave oven)
Remember I've been nattering about my new purchase for Deepavalli this year..The Microwave oven..I attended a session on Microwave cooking ..The first dish they showed is Vegetable biriyani...Here goes the ingredients and method of preparation:
1. 1 chopped onion
2. Cooking oil
3. Cloves/cinnamon/Somphu/Bay leaves/Kasakasa seeds
4. Basmathi rice - 1 cup (soak it in water for 20 mintues). I used boiled rice instead.
5. Ginger garlic paste/chopped and crushed ones
6. 2 chopped carrot
7. 1 chopped potatoes
8. few green peas
9. few chopped beans
10. chilli powder - 1 tbsp
11. Salt - 1/2 tbsp
12. gram masala powder - 1 tbsp
13. turmeric powder - 2 pinch
14. 1 chopped tomatoes
15. curry leaves
Method of preparation:
1. In a microoven safe big bowl, add chopped onion and all Cloves/cinnamon/Somphu/Bay leaves/Kasakasa seeds and 2-3 tbsp of cooking oil and mix it well. Microwave on high for 10-12 minutes. In between, mix the contents. The onions will become golden brown in color.
2. Add ginger garlic paste and cook for 2 minutes or till the raw smells of ginger and garlic is gone
3. add the chopped carrot,potato, green peas and chopped beans to the above. Mix it well and cook for 6 mintues
4. Then add chilli powder, salt to taste, gram masala and tumeric powder and cook for 2 more mintues
5. To this add tomato and curry leaves and cook for 2 more minutes
6. To this add the soaked rice and add 2 cup of water and cook it for 20 - 25 mintues. Add salt if required.
I used very little oil ..just 1 tbsp...and used boiled rice instead of basmati rice..So as the picture speaks for itself, it does not have much oil as one can see in the usual biriyani...Nevertheless, it was tasting delicious and the whole family loved it. My DH gave 90/100...Not bad ..My daughter and son loved it too...They cleaned their plate!!! Good feedback, is it not? ;-)
Emmh...yummy vegetable biriyani is ready!!!!