Thursday, October 29, 2009
Aloo Parantha/Aloo paratta
I learned this from my cook. I tried it on Deepavali for morning breakfast. Something special from my side to the family.
1. Potato - 1 to 2 chopped
2. Salt to taste
3. Mustard seeds - 1 tbsp
4. Onion - 1 to 2 chopped
5. turmeric powder - 1 pinch
6. Chilli powder (optional)..I have not put as children will reject it saying "Spicy"
7. Green chillies chopped ..(optional ...same reason as above)
8. curry leaves and coriander leaves for garnishing.
9. Ginger and garlic - chopped
Method of preparation:
1. Boil the potatoes with a pinch of salt
2. In a heavy bottom kadai, pour 1 tbsp of cooking oil and heat it. Splutter some mustard seeds, urudhu daal seeds, kadalai paruppu seeds till it turns slight brown.
3. Add the chopped onions, chopped ginger pieces and garlic pieces, curry leaves and turmeric powder and salt to taste and let it get fried till light golden brown.
4. Add chilli powder/green chillies at this stage and let it also get deep fried.
5. After this, add the smashed boiled potatoes to this and mix it throughly. Garnish it with corriander leaves.
To make paratta:
Mix 2 cup of wheat flour with required water to make it as a dough for making chapathi's.
Take a big ball of wheat dough and first flatten it into a small circle. Then take a small ball of the stuffing and keep it in the center of the flattened wheat dough and cover this stuffing by making a small pouch of the wheat dough. Then once again press it down and flatten it into a chappathi size circle.
In a preheated tawa, pour some ghee and then place the flattened paratta and allow it to cook for some time. Then turn over
and smear some more ghee on its surface and allow it to cook. If you see it will come out nice and glossy...
and ofcourse, the smell haunts the whole kitchen..
Varey waah!!! khiya masa khai
You can enjoy with curd and pickle.