Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Meen Kuttan/Fish curry
How to make fish curry:
1. Cleaned fish pieces
2. Tumeric powder - 1 tbsp
3. Chilly powder - 2 tbsp
4. Coriander powder - 3 tbsp
5. Koda puli - 3-4 pieces nicely soaked in water for 10- 15 minutes /Tamarind - 1/2 lemon sized
6. curry leaves
7. chopped ginger pieces, chopped onions
8. Tomatoes - 1 (optional)
9. Cocunut milk - 1 cup (keep seperately the first milk, the second milk)
10. Finely chopped small onions ( 1 handful)
Method of preparation:
1. Mix all the ingredients mentioned above except the finely chopped small onions in a heavy bottom kadai/mudpot with required water and also the second milk so that the fish remains inside the gravy. Fish curry tastes authentic when cooked in mudpot..and tastes divine after 1 day...
2. Bring the whole content to boil. Reduce the burner and cook for another 5-7 mintues. Ensure that the fish is cooked. Check can be done by removing a part of the fish and tasting it...By the time, the fish is done, pls don't exhaust the fish pieces in the pretext of testing..LOL..When it is almost done, add the first cocunut milk and simmer it for a minute or two.
3. In another small kadai, throw some oil and add the chopped small onions and deep fry it till it becomes dark brown. I also add curry leaves here.
4. Then just pour out the fried onions on top of the meen curry..Emh!!!!!!
You can relish it with hot plain rice