Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Kariveppalla/Curry leaf chutney
First to talk about the importance of curry leaves…it is rich in calcium…good for health…for hair growth etc etc….
My front yard has a big curry plant/tree…and once it is blooms, the whole front yard gets a spread of this plant…
• 1 /2 tbsp of mustard seeds
• cooking oil – 1 tbsp
• 1 tbsp – uzhundhu dhal seeds
• 1 tbsp – kadala paruppu
• salt to taste
• 1 small piece of tamarind
• Handful of curry leaves
• 1 – finely chopped onion
• 1- finely chopped tomatoes
• 1-2 green chillies slited
• 1-2 dry red chilli
Method of preparation:
• In a heavy bottom pan, pour out some cooking oil and throw all the above ingredients and fry it till it becomes dry.
• Grind it very well with little water.
• In a pan, heat little cooking oil and splutter the mustard seeds and dry broken red chilli
Pour out the seasoning to the above ground curry leaf paste and mix it well.
Enjoy this with hot hot idli, dosa...
If you mix it with plain rice, it becomes the kariveppalla rice..(another mixed rice)...